Monday, January 7, 2013

The Walking Growry

"The Walking Glowry" is a book illustrates my childhood in a small new village in Hillir Perak, Malaysia.

Book Title:  The Walking Growry
Author: Wong Hui Shin or Hui-Shin Wong

Papa means father.  Mama means mother.  Ah yan is my Cantonese name.  

Some excerpts:

When I was 1 year old ......
"This is trumpet.  This is harmonica.  Let papa play the harmonica for you," said my papa.  My papa is good in harmonica playing.

"Papa, I want to play harmonica."  I said.

When I was 3 years old ......
"Ah yan. This is papa's new car, Nissan Sunny 120Y.  Come with papa."

I followed my papa.

When I was 5 years old .......

"This is Uncle You.  This is Uncle Lee.  This is Uncle Ting.  This is Uncle Tan."  My papa introduced his friends from Ipoh, Perak to me when he invited a group of Ipoh friends to our farm for fishing.  It was a 6 fishing ponds farm.

I greeted them with respect.  "Uncle You.  Uncle Lee.  Uncle Ting.  Uncle Tan"

"These are our sons.  They are a few years elder than you," said Uncle Tan.

I nodded with smile.

"Papa, what is this?"  I asked my papa.

My papa replied,"This is Che Chin grass.  It is for clean kidney.  It is a traditional herb."


When I was 7 years old ......

"Papa, I want to follow a school trip to Kuala Lumpur.  I want RM 20 for the trip."  I asked with joyful smile.

"Sure!  This is RM 20."  My papa replied.


When I was 11 years old ......

"Papa, our school wants to visit Pokok Asam for brass band presentation.  I want papa to follow our trip."

"OK.  Papa will bring all siblings and mama to Taiping.  We support you." My papa said.

When I was ......

"Papa, our school wants to visit Malacca for brass band presentation.  I want papa to follow our trip."

"OK.  Papa will bring all siblings and mama to Malacca.  We support you."  My papa said.


When I was ......

"This is papa's new car, Toyota Corolla 1.6 SEG.  Let's go to invite mama for a drive."

I went to the kitchen to call my mama, "Mama, mama, papa wants to drive us a trip."

No comments: